Seeking Permission To Take A Break
Mechanical Bull: You gotta go!
Me: But, but WAIT!
ITHACA, N.Y. -- Last week as I have done on many other occasions I waited until the last possible moment to write the blog posts for this very blog, It's Breaking. We're Landing: 2am Monday morning. Two blog posts go live each and every Monday at 8am. I also have a class at 8am every day which means, I need to be fast asleep by 11pm in order to get any meaningful amount of sleep. So obviously, 2am is wayyyyy too late to write two creative, motivating, gif and emoji-filled blog posts that places your eyes on the bright side. It's dark by then! 😂🤦🏽♂️
I thought choosing to skip a week of posts would be a *big* decision -- I mean, I haven't missed a week of blogging since our December launch. If you're snapchat streak matters so does my blogging streak😭🤷🏾♂️. Unknowingly, I placed things into a creative perspective which was actually my term of the year for 2017. Good to see that it had some lasting good.
I asked myself these questions:
- Do you have even *one* of the two blog posts drafted? No.
- Did you share your previous blog posts with your audience? Nope.
- Do you even have a blogging schedule any more? Wishhhhh. Where did she go???
- Are you cool with two hours of sleep tonight? Hmmm, I really wanna 😴.
Literally there was my answer -- my 2018 word of the year: No. Life was throwing me off its rollercoaster and into my dreams which occur when my eyes are closed and the covers are all snuggly.
With things in perspective creatively, my decision was essentially made for me. I hadn't slept in once all week, and I was exhausted. I thought, how about this🤔:
- Don't write the blog posts in the dark (I'm in college; I have a roommate who gets his 💤s.)
- Start being social about all you're doing here. Let's be real. People are busy and they don't spend their life refreshing MalickMercier.com/blog.
- Make a blogging schedule, PLEASE boy.
- Get some sleep tonight.
I went to bed feeling good, and proud of my decision. I think that we often -- because of things we don't want to ruin like personal or in this case, public streaks -- don't give ourselves *permission* to throw our hands up and give in to a little bit of r&r. But in the name of self-care can we START DOING THAT ALREADY?! Isn't it so well deserved? We've been working hard over here. You've been reading and giving me feedback, and I've been replying to every single message (and trying to plan other cool things for you to enjoy).
You knowww what our answer is. Yes, yes, yes *please*...in the name of self-care ☺️💆🏽♂️.
Thank you for reading.
With ❤️and gratitude,